- Lifestyle Karate – Part 2 24. February 2021
- Lifestyle Karate – Part 1 23. February 2021
- Ball- or heel turn in karate 13. November 2020
- Naihanchi – The way we do it 24. June 2020
- Pinan (Heian) Kata – The way we do it 13. March 2020
- Kihon Kata – The way we do it 22. January 2020
- New photograph of Itosu Ankō 7. October 2019
- Tsumasaki-geri 4. September 2019
- Tsuki – The way I do it 12. August 2019
News from Okinawa Karate Information Center.
Newstopics from Okinawa Karate Information Center.
Okinawa Dento Karate Shinkokai.
Okinawa, a Japanese newspaper, local news.
Visit Okinawa Japan
Official Travel and Tourism Information.
Blog by Chris Willson.
Chris Willson is a British ex-pat photographer, videographer, and travel writer based in Okinawa.
- A karate related folktaleby okic@ on 8. March 2021 at 7:44
We introduce an Okinawan folktale “Why tigers can’t climb trees” in English. To read and li …more>>
- Released of the UNESCO registration promotion council’s websiteby okic@ on 26. February 2021 at 5:42
Following the seminar held of February 12th (more on the symposium here), the official site of the Okinawa Ka …more>>
- Postponement of the 1st Okinawa Karate World Junior Tournamentby okic@ on 25. February 2021 at 3:08
A formal postponement announcement was released by the executive comittee. For details, please visit the tour …more>>
- Youth tournament, postponement noticeby okic@ on 18. February 2021 at 1:35
The 1st Okinawa Karate World Junior Tournament’s Okinawan preliminaries and main tournament are schedul …more>>
- Towards Okinawa karate ICH registration, related publication by ICHCAPby okic@ on 15. February 2021 at 5:26
Eduardo González de la Fuente and Andreas Niehaus have written an article titled “From Olympic Sport to UNESC …more>>
- Towards Okinawa karate ICH registration, archive of the symposiumby okic@ on 15. February 2021 at 3:47
An online symposium with the theme of Okinawa karate gaining UNESCO Intangible Cultural Heritage (ICH) status …more>>
- Folktale: Why tigers can’t climb treesby okic@ on 8. March 2021 at 6:42
The Okinawan folktale “Tora ga ki nobori no dekinai riyū” (Why tigers can’t climb trees) can be found o …more>>
- About Rei – Part 2 by Nakamoto Masahiroby okic@ on 22. December 2020 at 3:21
Bu “starts with Rei and ends with Rei” If you put this in practice in your daily life, it will lead to the b …more>>
- Okinawa Karate “WA” Seriesby okic@ on 17. November 2020 at 2:32
Many dōjō within the Okinawa prefecture have resumed their training. But in the midst of the Covid-19 pandemi …more>>
- About Rei – Part 1: Mabuni Keneiby okic@ on 5. October 2020 at 8:10
The article below written by Mabuni Kenei sensei, son of the founder of Shitō-ryū Mabuni Kenwa sensei, is par …more>>
- 1969 article on master Yagi and Sūpārinpeby okic@ on 19. June 2020 at 7:43
Okinawa Kōkai no YūbeNational special invitation exemplary demonstration (Part III) (Published on September 23 …more>>
- 1969 article on master Higa and Passai Daiby okic@ on 22. May 2020 at 7:23
Okinawa Kōkai no YūbeNational special invitation exemplary demonstration (Part III) (Published on September 23 …more>>
- Toward the incorporation of the Shinkokaiby odks on 25. February 2021 at 4:30
The signing ceremony for the incorporation of our Shinkokai was held February 22 at the Okinawa Karate Kaikan. The post Toward the incorporation of […]
- Postponement of the 1st Okinawa Karate World Junior Tournamentby odks on 25. February 2021 at 2:56
A formal postponement announcement was released by the executive comittee. For details, please visit the tourn The post Postponement of the 1st […]
- Two karate related symposiums to be held in Februaryby odks on 8. February 2021 at 1:37
A karate symposium in relation with the future UNESCO registration will be held online on February 12. The post Two karate related symposiums to […]
- Movies of the Okinawa Karate Demonstrations for Shuri Castle Reconstructionby odks on 5. February 2021 at 1:46
Okinawa karate demonstration were held in front of Shuri Castle “Kofukumon” for three days from Oc The post Movies of the Okinawa Karate […]
- Releasing of a new PR video for Okinawa, the birthplace of karateby odks on 28. January 2021 at 1:47
Produced by the Prefectural Karate Promotion Division, this new video is filled with the charms of “Okin The post Releasing of a new PR video for […]
- Announcement of Temporary Closures to Prevent the Spread of the COVID-19 Coronavirusby FukumotoMaki on 8. March 2021 at 0:00
The post Announcement of Temporary Closures to Prevent the Spread of the COVID-19 Coronavirus appeared first on VISIT OKINAWA JAPAN.
- “Alluring Okinawa: Taking Steps into a New Era of Tourism” was aired on NHK World!by FukumotoMaki on 5. March 2021 at 8:50
The post “Alluring Okinawa: Taking Steps into a New Era of Tourism” was aired on NHK World! appeared first on VISIT OKINAWA JAPAN.
- New Year Holiday Business Hour 2021by FukumotoMaki on 25. December 2020 at 8:04
The post New Year Holiday Business Hour 2021 appeared first on VISIT OKINAWA JAPAN.
- Tourism Website Offering Fun Karate Experiences Launchedby OshiroSaika on 4. November 2020 at 7:19
The post Tourism Website Offering Fun Karate Experiences Launched appeared first on VISIT OKINAWA JAPAN.
- Areas Open at Shurijo Castleby FukumotoMaki on 27. October 2020 at 5:00
The post Areas Open at Shurijo Castle appeared first on VISIT OKINAWA JAPAN.
- Using beach sand and water as a training tool: Okinawa Prefecture produces Karate videoby 滝本匠 on 29. January 2021 at 13:36
January 25, 2021 Ryukyu Shimpo By Takesaburo Koyama Onna – The Okinawa Prefecture Department of Culture
- Ryo Kiyuna strives for Olympic gold bearing the pride of Okinawan karate and its 200-year-old secretsby 滝本匠 on 5. January 2021 at 4:20
January 1, 2021 Ryukyu Shimpo By Shun Furukawa Ryuei-ryu karate is one of the origins of karate, incorp
- With a fighting shout accompanied with Music, Bunshiro Nagamine leads “Radio Karate” at Yaesekotoshien Schoolby 小崎 彰之 on 17. November 2020 at 10:15
November 13 2020 Ryukyu Shimpo Yaese – Yaesekotoshien School spent their physical education class on November
- [VIDEO] Japanese Olympic Karateka Ryo Kiyuna sets Guinness World Recordby 小崎 彰之 on 10. November 2020 at 8:55
November 3, 2020 Ryukyu Shimpo Karateka Ryo Kiyuna, 30, from the Ryuei-ryu ryuho-kai school of karate and who
- Strengthen your immune system with radio karate along with a Naha Tomari Elementary school teacherby e-system-dev-admin on 29. May 2020 at 6:31
May 25, 2020 Ryukyu Shimpo By Kotaro Nagamine In order to provide some energy for the children who are still s
- Hawaii United Okinawa Association welcomes new presidentby toiyama on 3. February 2020 at 4:28
January 26, 2020 Ryukyu Shimpo By Hanae Gushiken Higa Waipahu, HAWAII—The Hawaii United Okinawa Association (H
- Ryo Kiyuna determined to win gold medal at Tokyo Olympics, “I train 365 days a year”by toiyama on 7. January 2020 at 8:25
January 1, 2020 Ryukyu Shimpo By Shun Furukawa With currently no true rival in the world, Karateka Ryo Kiyuna
- Ryukyu Shimpo Digital Extra – Kiyuna selected to represent Japan at the 2020 Tokyo Olympics in the Men’s Karate Kata competition December 1, 2019 Ryukyu Shimpoby e-system-dev-admin on 6. December 2019 at 7:59
December 1, 2019 Ryukyu Shimpo Ryo Kiyuna, 29, Ryueiryu-ryuhokai, along with two others, were the first to be
- Six Dojos come together to perform Karate demonstration praying for the Shuri Castle reconstruction and to give courage to the regionby toiyama on 8. November 2019 at 7:01
November 4, 2019 Ryukyu Shimpo Six dojos in Shuri, Naha gathered November 3 at the Sakiyama Park in Sakiyama,
- Russian government officials and mayors making advances toward Okinawaby e-system-dev-admin on 9. October 2019 at 8:04
October 7, 2019 Ryukyu Shimpo Russian government officials and regional mayors are making advances toward Okin
Blog by Chris Willson Okinawa
Chris Willson is a British ex-pat photographer, videographer, and travel writer based in Okinawa. He specializes in documenting Japanese festivals, martial arts, and life on Okinawa both on land and underwater. His images often appear in newspapers, magazines and guidebooks.
- Exploring the Yanbaruby travel67 on 27. February 2021 at 0:14
A couple of weeks ago I spent the day exploring the northern part of Okinawa known as Yanbaru. Here are a few snaps from a fun day out. I joined a guided walk that meets up at the Yanbaru Visitors Center and “Road Station” that opened in February 2020. There’s a mini supermarket packed with local produce if you need to stock up with snacks before your hike, or to buy ingredients for dinner after your adventure. A guided walk teaches you far more about the local flora and fauna than if you just treated the hike as a way to burn off calories. The guide was able to spot numerous critters, […]
- Zenshu Toyama, 10th-dan, Goju-ryu Karateby travel67 on 23. January 2021 at 3:41
On December 19th, 2020, James and I visited the dojo of Zenshu Toyama, in Awase, Okinawa. Toyama Sensei is 10th-dan, Goju-ryu Karate, and one of the style’s most senior practitioners. We photographed Toyama Sensei in October 2013, but on this day we returned to interview him for Episode 12 of the Sensei: Masters of Okinawan Karate documentary series. As it had been 7 years since our previous visit, we also shot some new portraits. Our goal is that Episode 11 with Oshiro Sensei will be released in February 2020 and then Episode 12 with Toyama Sensei will be released in March or April 2020. […]
- Toshihiro Oshiro, 9th dan Shima-Ha Shorin-Ryu karate, 8th dan Yamanni Chinen Ryu kobujutsu.by travel67 on 29. November 2020 at 2:11
Last Saturday, I photographed Toshihiro Oshiro, 9th dan Shima-Ha Shorin-Ryu karate, 8th dan Yamanni Chinen Ryu kobujutsu, for the Karate Masters Portrait Project. We shot the studio style portraits at his dojo in Itoman, and then yesterday photographed him again on his local beach. We also interviewed Oshiro Sensei for the Sensei: Masters of Okinawa Karate series, and the episode will be available on YouTube and Bujin.tv early next year. It was a real pleasure to hang out with Oshiro Sensei and his students. I got to learn some more fascinating aspects of Okinawan culture (use a light grip on […]
- #10 Takehiro Gaja, Sensei: Masters of Okinawan Karateby travel67 on 23. November 2020 at 7:44
Episode 10 in the series Sensei: Masters of Okinawan Karate is now online on YouTube and on Bujin.tv Thank you to all those who helped film, edit, transcribe, translate, and check this episode. Thank you also to the sponsors and supporters of the series. If you’d like to learn more about the series, please click here. Main Sponsors Fusei Kise, Isao Kise and the OSMKKF-USA Jerry Figgiani – Shorin Ryu Karate Do International Beikoku Shidokan Karatedo Association Grant Campbell – USA Karate Federation Cezar Borkowski – Northern Karate Schools NOVA Okinawan Karate Dojo Series […]
- Shawn Miller: Okinawa Nature Photographyby travel67 on 10. November 2020 at 2:49
Anderson’s Crocodile Newt by Shawn Miller of Okinawa Nature Photography in the November 2020 issue of National Geographic. This post is to highlight the amazing work that photographer Shawn Miller is doing to document endangered Okinawan wildlife. Shawn has lived most of his life in Okinawa, and has dedicated himself to capturing its beauty and protecting its creatures. It is a fantastic for Shawn to be able to get one of his images of Okinawan wildlife into this month’s National Geographic. The fact that the image is also selected by Canon to showcase what you can achieve with their […]
- Tetsunosuke Yasuda, 10th Dan, Okinawa Goju-ryu Karate – Jundokan. 1926-2020by travel67 on 13. October 2020 at 12:18
Yesterday, October 12th 2020, Tetsunosuke Yasuda passed away. A karate master and a true gentleman. I photographed him in 2014 when he was a sprightly 88 years old and he showed off his incline sit-ups while holding a weight above his head. Our paths crossed several times, as for a decade I rented a house through his Yasuda Jutaku housing company. Each time we met he was such as kind, generous man full of praise and encouragement for our project to document Okinawan karate. When I decided to create a book of the first 58 karate masters I’d photographed, I placed Yasuda Sensei at the center […]
- Chieko Toma – Goju-ryu Karate & Ryukyu Danceby travel67 on 2. September 2020 at 6:53
Chieko Toma is a master of Ryukyu dance. On Sunday I had the chance to photograph her performing in traditional dance costumes. The next black and white costume comes from Haebaru Town and I believe is worn for performance of the folk dances, rather than the court dances. The next outfit is the karate gi with a hakama-style piece over the lower half. This was worn to perform the go shin no mai dances of self defense. As well as a master of Ryukyu dance, Toma Sensei is a master of Goju-ryu karate, and a student under Tetsuhiro Hokama Sensei. If you look at the behind the scenes shot, and […]
- Shuri Castle Reconstructionby travel67 on 19. July 2020 at 5:42
On July 15 2020 I visited Shuri Castle to see the progress with reconstruction. As you approach the castle, nearly everything appears to be as it was before the fire. The Shureimon gate is intact, locals were praying at the Sonohyan-utaki, and the stone walls and archways of the Kankaimon gate all bore no evidence of the disaster. At the ticket booth in the Shichi-nu-una courtyard you can purchase a discounted entry ticket, but it only as you pass through the Houshimon ticket gate into the main courtyard you are hit with the vast change to the beloved castle. Where the main Seiden once stood […]
- Intangible Cultural Asset Holders in the Field of Okinawan Karate and Martial Arts with Weaponryby travel67 on 28. May 2020 at 8:58
On May 19th 2020 six Okinawan Karate Masters were recognized by the prefecture as an Intangible Cultural Asset Holder in the Field of Okinawan Karate and Martial Arts with Weaponry. I am honored to have photographed them all for the Karate Masters Portrait Project over the past 8 years. Congratulations to Iha Sensei, Kikugawa Sensei, Maeshiro Sensei, Nakahodo Sensei, Iha Sensei and Takara Sensei! I’m also happy to announce that episode 8 in the YouTube series Sensei: Masters of Okinawan Karate is now online. I’m really proud of all the work that went into this episode, the team that […]
- Coronavirus Scheduleby travel67 on 25. April 2020 at 13:28
Due to the coronavirus all sessions and projects scheduled for before May 9th are postponed until a later date. Stay safe, stay home, we’ll get through this.