News from Okinawa Karate Information Center.
Newstopics from Okinawa Karate Information Center.
Okinawa Dento Karate Shinkokai.
Okinawa, a Japanese newspaper, local news.
Visit Okinawa Japan
Official Travel and Tourism Information.
Blog by Chris Willson.
Chris Willson is a British ex-pat photographer, videographer, and travel writer based in Okinawa.
- Two world tournaments to be held simultaneously in August 2022by okic@ on 10. May 2021 at 3:33
It was announced that the 1st Okinawa Karate World Junior Tournament (for 6-14 years old), which was postpone …more>>
- Nakahodo sensei receives the Order of the Rising Sun Medalby okic@ on 30. April 2021 at 8:46
This year, praising his service for the preservation of cultural property, Nakahodo Tsutomu sensei (87), a cu …more>>
- Introduction of new officers of the Shinkokaiby okic@ on 27. April 2021 at 5:02
The list of the officers for the new fiscal term has been released on the official website of the Okinawa Dent …more>>
- Notice of business days in the coming weeksby okic@ on 23. April 2021 at 5:53
During this year’s Golden Week, due to the temporary closure of the Okinawa Karate Kaikan, our informat …more>>
- Change of the Olympic torch relay route in Okinawaby okic@ on 19. April 2021 at 8:42
The second day of the torch relay was scheduled to start from the Okinawa Karate Kaikan. However, since nine …more>>
- New website for Budō tourism releasedby okic@ on 13. April 2021 at 9:24
A new website for martial arts (Budō) tourism sponsored by the Japan Sports Agency has been released. In addi …more>>
- Folktale: Why tigers can’t climb treesby okic@ on 8. March 2021 at 7:42
The Okinawan folktale “Tora ga ki nobori no dekinai riyū” (Why tigers can’t climb trees) can be found o …more>>
- About Rei – Part 2 by Nakamoto Masahiroby okic@ on 22. December 2020 at 4:21
Bu “starts with Rei and ends with Rei” If you put this in practice in your daily life, it will lead t …more>>
- Okinawa Karate “WA” Seriesby okic@ on 17. November 2020 at 3:32
Many dōjō within the Okinawa prefecture have resumed their training. But in the midst of the Covid-19 pandemi …more>>
- About Rei – Part 1: Mabuni Keneiby okic@ on 5. October 2020 at 9:10
The article below written by Mabuni Kenei sensei, son of the founder of Shitō-ryū Mabuni Kenwa sensei, is par …more>>
- 1969 article on master Yagi and Sūpārinpeby okic@ on 19. June 2020 at 8:43
Okinawa Kōkai no YūbeNational special invitation exemplary demonstration (Part III) (Published on September 23 …more>>
- 1969 article on master Higa and Passai Daiby okic@ on 22. May 2020 at 8:23
Okinawa Kōkai no YūbeNational special invitation exemplary demonstration (Part III) (Published on September 23 …more>>
- Donation from Kumejima no Kumesenby odks on 19. March 2021 at 6:11
On Friday March 19th, a donation ceremony was held within the office of the Shinkokai between the awamori brew The post Donation from Kumejima no […]
- Toward the incorporation of the Shinkokaiby odks on 25. February 2021 at 5:30
The signing ceremony for the incorporation of our Shinkokai was held February 22 at the Okinawa Karate Kaikan. The post Toward the incorporation of […]
- Postponement of the 1st Okinawa Karate World Junior Tournamentby odks on 25. February 2021 at 3:56
A formal postponement announcement was released by the executive comittee. For details, please visit the tourn The post Postponement of the 1st […]
- Two karate related symposiums to be held in Februaryby odks on 8. February 2021 at 2:37
A karate symposium in relation with the future UNESCO registration will be held online on February 12. The post Two karate related symposiums to […]
- Movies of the Okinawa Karate Demonstrations for Shuri Castle Reconstructionby odks on 5. February 2021 at 2:46
Okinawa karate demonstration were held in front of Shuri Castle “Kofukumon” for three days from Oc The post Movies of the Okinawa Karate […]
- Regarding Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19)by FukumotoMaki on 29. March 2021 at 3:00
The post Regarding Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) appeared first on VISIT OKINAWA JAPAN.
- SUSTAINABLE LUXURY TREEHOUSE ECO RESORT SET TO OPEN IN OKINAWA IN 2021by MinamiShinzato on 10. March 2021 at 8:00
The post SUSTAINABLE LUXURY TREEHOUSE ECO RESORT SET TO OPEN IN OKINAWA IN 2021 appeared first on VISIT OKINAWA JAPAN.
- “Alluring Okinawa: Taking Steps into a New Era of Tourism” was aired on NHK World!by FukumotoMaki on 5. March 2021 at 9:50
The post “Alluring Okinawa: Taking Steps into a New Era of Tourism” was aired on NHK World! appeared first on VISIT OKINAWA JAPAN.
- Using beach sand and water as a training tool: Okinawa Prefecture produces Karate videoby 滝本匠 on 29. January 2021 at 14:36
January 25, 2021 Ryukyu Shimpo By Takesaburo Koyama Onna – The Okinawa Prefecture Department of Culture
- Ryo Kiyuna strives for Olympic gold bearing the pride of Okinawan karate and its 200-year-old secretsby 滝本匠 on 5. January 2021 at 5:20
January 1, 2021 Ryukyu Shimpo By Shun Furukawa Ryuei-ryu karate is one of the origins of karate, incorp
- With a fighting shout accompanied with Music, Bunshiro Nagamine leads “Radio Karate” at Yaesekotoshien Schoolby 小崎 彰之 on 17. November 2020 at 11:15
November 13 2020 Ryukyu Shimpo Yaese – Yaesekotoshien School spent their physical education class on November
- [VIDEO] Japanese Olympic Karateka Ryo Kiyuna sets Guinness World Recordby 小崎 彰之 on 10. November 2020 at 9:55
November 3, 2020 Ryukyu Shimpo Karateka Ryo Kiyuna, 30, from the Ryuei-ryu ryuho-kai school of karate and who
- Strengthen your immune system with radio karate along with a Naha Tomari Elementary school teacherby e-system-dev-admin on 29. May 2020 at 7:31
May 25, 2020 Ryukyu Shimpo By Kotaro Nagamine In order to provide some energy for the children who are still s
- Hawaii United Okinawa Association welcomes new presidentby toiyama on 3. February 2020 at 5:28
January 26, 2020 Ryukyu Shimpo By Hanae Gushiken Higa Waipahu, HAWAII—The Hawaii United Okinawa Association (H
- Ryo Kiyuna determined to win gold medal at Tokyo Olympics, “I train 365 days a year”by toiyama on 7. January 2020 at 9:25
January 1, 2020 Ryukyu Shimpo By Shun Furukawa With currently no true rival in the world, Karateka Ryo Kiyuna
- Ryukyu Shimpo Digital Extra – Kiyuna selected to represent Japan at the 2020 Tokyo Olympics in the Men’s Karate Kata competition December 1, 2019 Ryukyu Shimpoby e-system-dev-admin on 6. December 2019 at 8:59
December 1, 2019 Ryukyu Shimpo Ryo Kiyuna, 29, Ryueiryu-ryuhokai, along with two others, were the first to be
- Six Dojos come together to perform Karate demonstration praying for the Shuri Castle reconstruction and to give courage to the regionby toiyama on 8. November 2019 at 8:01
November 4, 2019 Ryukyu Shimpo Six dojos in Shuri, Naha gathered November 3 at the Sakiyama Park in Sakiyama,
- Russian government officials and mayors making advances toward Okinawaby e-system-dev-admin on 9. October 2019 at 9:04
October 7, 2019 Ryukyu Shimpo Russian government officials and regional mayors are making advances toward Okin
Blog by Chris Willson Okinawa
Chris Willson is a British ex-pat photographer, videographer, and travel writer based in Okinawa. He specializes in documenting Japanese festivals, martial arts, and life on Okinawa both on land and underwater. His images often appear in newspapers, magazines and guidebooks.
- Toshihiro Oshiro – Sensei: Masters of Okinawa Karate #11by travel67 on 3. April 2021 at 3:33
Episode #11 of the Sensei: Masters of Okinawa Karate Series has just been uploaded to YouTube and will be also available on Bujin.tv in the near future. Toshihiro Oshiro is 9th-dan in Shima-Ha Shorin Ryu karate, and 8th dan Yamanni Chinen Ryu Kobujutsu. He learned karate and kobudo in Okinawa, then for several decades taught in the USA. In 2018 he returned to Okinawa. In this interview he talks about his life of martial arts, and his analytical interest of body movement. A huge thank you to Oshiro Sensei and his students, both in Okinawa and overseas, especially Kenji Hirai for setting up the […]
- 2000GT Documentaryby travel67 on 3. April 2021 at 3:05
Sean Connery drove the Toyota 2000GT in the 1967 Bond movie “You Only Live Twice.” In Japan, a 13-year-old boy called Michio saw the iconic Toyota on the cinema screen, and it became his dream car. The 2000GT was Japan’s first supercar, extremely expensive and very rare. This mini documentary is the story of how Michio spent the next 40 years striving to achieve his goal. We filmed the interview and driving sequences in winter 2019 and spring 2020 just before COVID-19, and I spent lockdown editing when possible. Murata-san, his wife (a jazz singer whose tracks are used in the […]
- O.I.S.T. Photographyby travel67 on 27. March 2021 at 4:52
Our team have worked with the Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology for several years. We’ve photographed and videoed several events including graduations and TEDx events. Recently we were one of the teams asked by OIST to produce some new commercial photography. The photographs will be used in a variety of media, and as they appear in public, we’ll be able to share them. This week a new banner promoting research appeared with two of the four images created by our team. I shot the first pic and underwater specialist Shawn Miller shot the third pic. Always a pleasure to work on […]
- Exploring the Yanbaruby travel67 on 27. February 2021 at 1:14
A couple of weeks ago I spent the day exploring the northern part of Okinawa known as Yanbaru. Here are a few snaps from a fun day out. I joined a guided walk that meets up at the Yanbaru Visitors Center and “Road Station” that opened in February 2020. There’s a mini supermarket packed with local produce if you need to stock up with snacks before your hike, or to buy ingredients for dinner after your adventure. A guided walk teaches you far more about the local flora and fauna than if you just treated the hike as a way to burn off calories. The guide was able to spot numerous critters, […]
- Zenshu Toyama, 10th-dan, Goju-ryu Karateby travel67 on 23. January 2021 at 4:41
On December 19th, 2020, James and I visited the dojo of Zenshu Toyama, in Awase, Okinawa. Toyama Sensei is 10th-dan, Goju-ryu Karate, and one of the style’s most senior practitioners. We photographed Toyama Sensei in October 2013, but on this day we returned to interview him for Episode 12 of the Sensei: Masters of Okinawan Karate documentary series. As it had been 7 years since our previous visit, we also shot some new portraits. Our goal is that Episode 11 with Oshiro Sensei will be released in February 2020 and then Episode 12 with Toyama Sensei will be released in March or April 2020. […]
- Toshihiro Oshiro, 9th dan Shima-Ha Shorin-Ryu karate, 8th dan Yamanni Chinen Ryu kobujutsu.by travel67 on 29. November 2020 at 3:11
Last Saturday, I photographed Toshihiro Oshiro, 9th dan Shima-Ha Shorin-Ryu karate, 8th dan Yamanni Chinen Ryu kobujutsu, for the Karate Masters Portrait Project. We shot the studio style portraits at his dojo in Itoman, and then yesterday photographed him again on his local beach. We also interviewed Oshiro Sensei for the Sensei: Masters of Okinawa Karate series, and the episode will be available on YouTube and Bujin.tv early next year. It was a real pleasure to hang out with Oshiro Sensei and his students. I got to learn some more fascinating aspects of Okinawan culture (use a light grip on […]
- #10 Takehiro Gaja, Sensei: Masters of Okinawan Karateby travel67 on 23. November 2020 at 8:44
Episode 10 in the series Sensei: Masters of Okinawan Karate is now online on YouTube and on Bujin.tv Thank you to all those who helped film, edit, transcribe, translate, and check this episode. Thank you also to the sponsors and supporters of the series. If you’d like to learn more about the series, please click here. Main Sponsors Fusei Kise, Isao Kise and the OSMKKF-USA Jerry Figgiani – Shorin Ryu Karate Do International Beikoku Shidokan Karatedo Association Grant Campbell – USA Karate Federation Cezar Borkowski – Northern Karate Schools NOVA Okinawan Karate Dojo Series […]
- Shawn Miller: Okinawa Nature Photographyby travel67 on 10. November 2020 at 3:49
Anderson’s Crocodile Newt by Shawn Miller of Okinawa Nature Photography in the November 2020 issue of National Geographic. This post is to highlight the amazing work that photographer Shawn Miller is doing to document endangered Okinawan wildlife. Shawn has lived most of his life in Okinawa, and has dedicated himself to capturing its beauty and protecting its creatures. It is a fantastic for Shawn to be able to get one of his images of Okinawan wildlife into this month’s National Geographic. The fact that the image is also selected by Canon to showcase what you can achieve with their […]
- Tetsunosuke Yasuda, 10th Dan, Okinawa Goju-ryu Karate – Jundokan. 1926-2020by travel67 on 13. October 2020 at 13:18
Yesterday, October 12th 2020, Tetsunosuke Yasuda passed away. A karate master and a true gentleman. I photographed him in 2014 when he was a sprightly 88 years old and he showed off his incline sit-ups while holding a weight above his head. Our paths crossed several times, as for a decade I rented a house through his Yasuda Jutaku housing company. Each time we met he was such as kind, generous man full of praise and encouragement for our project to document Okinawan karate. When I decided to create a book of the first 58 karate masters I’d photographed, I placed Yasuda Sensei at the center […]
- Chieko Toma – Goju-ryu Karate & Ryukyu Danceby travel67 on 2. September 2020 at 7:53
Chieko Toma is a master of Ryukyu dance. On Sunday I had the chance to photograph her performing in traditional dance costumes. The next black and white costume comes from Haebaru Town and I believe is worn for performance of the folk dances, rather than the court dances. The next outfit is the karate gi with a hakama-style piece over the lower half. This was worn to perform the go shin no mai dances of self defense. As well as a master of Ryukyu dance, Toma Sensei is a master of Goju-ryu karate, and a student under Tetsuhiro Hokama Sensei. If you look at the behind the scenes shot, and […]